NBA Draft Tonight: What Happens with the 4th Pick?
College sports are a thing of the past for me. I am not going to sit here and pretend like I know every single draft prospect the way I used to with NBA. But, I do know the Pelicans hit the motherload tonight when they take Zion Williamson first overall.
Memphis will inevitably take Ja Morant. Then the dumpster fire that is the New York Knicks decided between RJ Barrett, Darius Garland or maybe moving the pick.
Then come the Pelicans with their second and most important decision of the draft. Zion at 1 is obviously a no brainer. However, that fourth pick is where things can really explode.
If the Pels stay put at 4, you would almost have to assume that whoever the Knicks pass on at 3 between Garland and Barrett will be in contention along with DeAndre Hunter or Jarrett Culver. However, the rumors have been flying high that the Pels will in fact move the 4th pick with a trade.
Potential Trade Options:
- Atlanta Hawks – 8th and 10th PickI also originally saw a rumored package that would include the 8th, 17th, 2020 1st and a couple of 2nds. I would much prefer the latter obviously. However, if the Hawks are the team, it will be 8 and 10.
- Boston Celtics – 14th, 20th and 22nd PicksIt is hard to imagine trading the 4th for 3 later selections, but if that is the route they were to go, they have a front office that I have faith in.
- Chicago Bulls – 7th Pick and/or Zach LaVineI am not sure what this deal would look like because I am not sure what else Chicago has that is really valuable to the Pels currently. In order to land Zach LaVine, I think the Pels would have to give up more pieces. Maybe they can make it work. But I would rather see them somehow get both without getting bent over a barrel.
- Minnesota Timberwolves – 11th Pick and Robert CovingtonAnother rumor buzzing is trading 4 for 11 and Covington and dumping Solomon Hill in the process, which I am not infatuated with. You’re trading down far just to get a role piece and a contract dump.
- Washington Wizards – Bradley BealObviously Beal would be a shoe in, but I am not sure what the deal would look like because it would almost certainly take more than just the 4th pick to grab him. You would have to include someone like Lonzo Ball and then maybe you can dump Hill.
My Prediction for Pick 4
Unfortunately, I don’t think the fireworks happen with a trade and I think the Pels stay put at 4. With the 4th pick in the 2019 NBA Draft, the New Orleans Pelicans select…